New member from Iowa!!!

Amy Jo

Owned by
1 cocker
Hello!

A little about me and my family- My name is Amy…I live on an acreage near a small town in Iowa. We share our home with our sweet male Cocker Spaniel named Marley and our cat named Dory. My fiancée and I have a beautiful 14 month old daughter named Avery.
In December we had to euthanize our beloved American Pit Bull Terrier due to serious health issues-A crippling backend defect. He was only 3 years old and we had him since he was a 6 week old pup. His name was Boomer and he will be in our hearts forever.

About Marley (Our Cocker Spaniel): On March 13th 2010, a Saturday… I had to take my cat, Dory to the vet to get her Rabies vaccination and a friend of mine works at the vet center. She told me that there was a black cocker that was going to be euthanized on the upcoming Monday so in 48 hours the dog was going to be dead.
The dog had come in as a stray and no one claimed or wanted him, he had been at the clinic for 7 weeks. I told her that I was not interested due to the fact that I had just lost my best friend but as I was putting my cat in her crate getting ready to leave here came my friend with the Cocker Spaniel. I have been raised with Cocker Spaniels and I have a SERIOUS soft spot for them and when I looked into the poor dogs eyes my heart melted and my eyes seriously filled with tears. He was so pitiful…severely matted hair to the point mold and grass was growing in it, an eye infection-due to the mats, and he was seriously underweight. He apparently had a connection with my as well because when I left my friend said he sat in his kennel and cried (howled)…Something he had never done before. Needless to say, Monday he came home with me. ;)

A hairdo and a bath did wonders for him. He looked, felt, smelt and acted better!

We decided to name him Marley because when we got him his hair looked like Bob Marley due to the mats and tangles. The vet has guessed him to be 9 months to 1 year old. He has now been neutered and his eye infection has cleared up.

He is a wonderful little guy and as you can tell from this LONG intro…I LOVE talking about him!
Im excited to get to know other Cocker owners as I am very involved with Pit Bull advocacy and would now like to become involved with Cockers as well!

Here are some pics of Marley. Here are pics I took on my phone the day I first met him at the clinic.

Before12.jpg

Before1.jpg

And here are some now!!! As you can see, he is still skinny but trust me...He looks so much better then when I got him. He is gaining weight!

100_2441.jpg

100_2446.jpg

Marley4-18-102.jpg

First of all - WELCOME, we are glad to have you here. Marley looks so sad in his first pics and so HAPPY in the last pics! You done a good thing saving this boy ;) Bring on the pics and stories to come. There is a wealth of info here. Enjoy.
I'm Robin, a show/breeder/Rescuer of Cocker Spaniels. Currently I own 5 cockers plus one min pin and have 4 rescue cockers staying with me until they find their furever families.
Please be patient if your posts don't show up right away as you will be moderated for a few days.

Welcome! What a difference in the before and after pictures. She looks very happy now.

Hi and welcome from Florida!

I am Dot and mommy to Ellie, Charley and Otto. All three are rescues - the first two are Cockers and Otto is a Vizsla.

Thank you for rescuing Marley.You will find that a lot of us are involved in rescue in one way or another.

Bless you for being involved in Pitty advocacy. We had Rotties for years and years and I know what it is like to have a "bad" breed. :(

Again, welcome! :)

Welcome Amy Jo! I'm Polly and hubby Mike and I live in Southern California with our 4 cockers, 3 rescues and a retired show boy Stormy from my dear friend Robin.

What a wonderful thing you did saving that boy, and what a difference you have made in his life. Welcome! My sister had a wonderful pitt. Her name was Rosie. She was so ball crazy. She had terrible arthritis and they tired to limit her time with a ball. If she couldn't find a ball to play with, she would go outside and grab a lemon of their tree. She was a wonderful girl.

View attachment 3681
My version of Rosie and her sister.

Wow - he looks like the one I just adopted offa death row! Congrats and welcome to the board!

Welcome Amy Jo! I'm Polly and hubby Mike and I live in Southern California with our 4 cockers, 3 rescues and a retired show boy Stormy from my dear friend Robin.

What a wonderful thing you did saving that boy, and what a difference you have made in his life. Welcome! My sister had a wonderful pitt. Her name was Rosie. She was so ball crazy. She had terrible arthritis and they tired to limit her time with a ball. If she couldn't find a ball to play with, she would go outside and grab a lemon of their tree. She was a wonderful girl.

View attachment 3681
My version of Rosie and her sister.

That's a great painting Polly.

Wow! Welcome to MCS! You couldn't have found a better forum. THANK YOU for saving Marley! He is sooo adorable. My name is Ashlee. My boyfriend is actually from Cedar Rapids. :) We are owned by the one and only Kaylee Marie, a black and white American cocker. She looks a lot like Marley, actually! We recently moved from Florida to Albuquerque, NM.

Welcome Amy Jo, Marley and family! Thank you so much for rescuing Marley and giving him a wonderful life. I have no doubt that the two of you have a special bond - the story of how you found each other gave me the chills.

We love pictures and stories, so please jump right in and share away!

Thanks for the kind welcome!!!

I am really enjoying this forum…There are some very informative and interesting threads.

Ashlee- Cedar Rapids is about 1 hour from me! We go there quite frequently though because my cousin (Who I am VERY close to) goes to Mount Mercy College which is located in Cedar Rapids!!!

I am very grateful that I didn’t get 'jumped' for being a Pit Bull lover and a previous owner…Believe it or not It has happened. :( Dot-I appreciate your kind words!!! And it is truly amazing how differently people treat you depending on the breed of dog you walk at the end of the lead. Polly-That painting is gorgeous! I would LOVE to have a painting of Boomer done. I will someday again own a ‘Pibble”. ;)

Here are a few pictures of Boomer.

This one is with my daughter. Boomer loved my little girl SO much! They were buddies. The day after he was put down she pointed towards his crate and said "Boom-A?" :( She now laughs when we look at pics of him together and she always points to his pictures that are on the wall.
BFFInthemaking.jpg

Boomer2.jpg

Listening-1.jpg

That's a cute picture of them together. Boomer was a handsome pit.

Ashlee- Cedar Rapids is about 1 hour from me! We go there quite frequently though because my cousin (Who I am VERY close to) goes to Mount Mercy College which is located in Cedar Rapids!!!

I am very grateful that I didn’t get 'jumped' for being a Pit Bull lover and a previous owner…Believe it or not It has happened. :( Dot-I appreciate your kind words!!! And it is truly amazing how differently people treat you depending on the breed of dog you walk at the end of the lead. Polly-That painting is gorgeous! I would LOVE to have a painting of Boomer done. I will someday again own a ‘Pibble”. ;)

That's awesome!
Now for the bit about being jumped.... NO WAY!! First off, as for myself, I do not listen to breed prejudices! I have had some WONDERFUL pits and pit mixes in my life. Second!! Believe it or not, a lot of people are prejudice against the Cocker Spaniel as well. An example - a lot of groomers won't do cockers! Which is crazy! Apparently they have a rep for being aggressive... I have not experienced this though. My Kaylee is the most loving, happy, and adoring dog! So you don't have to worry about that here!!

So true what Ashlee said. There are so many prejudices, all are due to owners, not the breed of dog. Thank you for your kind comments about my work :D My cocker gallery is housed right here on MCS! You can access it thru my siggy link.

I don't paint professionally at this time.. I may take up my brushes professionally after I retire and cut my work hours at the end of the year. :D

Hi Amy! What an amazing story about your Marley. You were just the right person for him, and he knew it. Now you have proven him right! I have a black cocker, too, (see pictures on this message.) His name is Frankie and he is 5 1/2. We love him just a little.....lol He is a sweetheart!

Hi Amy! What an amazing story about your Marley. You were just the right person for him, and he knew it. Now you have proven him right! I have a black cocker, too, (see pictures on this message.) His name is Frankie and he is 5 1/2. We love him just a little.....lol He is a sweetheart!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:Just a little!!!

It is unreal how people judge a dog by their breed...IMO it’s not any different than judging a person by race.

Marley really is proving to be the perfect match. I have never bonded so quickly or felt such a ‘connection’ with a dog (Man that sounds cheesy but I don’t know how else to describe it. LOL!) and it’s not like I fall in love with every dog I see...Last summer I volunteered as a kennel hand at my local shelter and no dog affected me the way Marley did...I felt bad for them and wished I could help them but Something was just ‘There’ with Marley…I think HE chose me!!! Some things are just meant to be and I would say he is one of those things. ;)

Wow, Boomer was a gorgeous dog! I love his deep red colouring. I can see why you loved him so.

In one of my classes, there was a Staffordshire Bull Terrier. He was a gorgeous dog and VERY sweet. He was one that failed the Canine Good Neighbour test for being TOO friendly. He couldn't resist jumping up and kissing the evaluator. I miss him.

Back