New puppy or is it a howler monkey?

s.mikkelsen

Owned by
2 cockers
So I know when you get a new puppy there some whining to be expected, and some pawing of the kennel door.

However! Twice today I was asked if I'd gotten a howler monkey not a new puppy! She's been crying so loud since we got home from the air port last night she sounds like someone's beating her to death, the only time she's quiet is when someone's holding her. Also when she's put into her kennel she will literally climb onto the roof and hang upside down holding onto the metal bars until I come and pry her off the roof and put her back on the ground. I know people have warned me that parti's have a more lively personality....is this whats ment or can anyone recommend something to help with my 'new little howler monkey'?:unsure:

I raced to open this; thought you talking about us! Cordelia is a howler monkey, too; but she's mostly settled in, and I bet your puppy will, too. Still, you might have to take her with you, every place you go ;)

I may not have a puppy-puppy but Missy (who has parti parents) is the most talkative dog I've ever met!

I'm going with the above suggestion of holding her; it is after all what Middy demands of me. :p

Ahhhh, the fond memories of puppyhood. It is tough not to give in to those cute little faces. But Crate training is important for many reasons. So here are a couple of the tricks I remember.

During the day if I was home and could not be right there the girls were put into a exercise pen so they were not always crated and had a little more room. We mostly used the crate for night time. First make sure the puppy does not need to go potty, eat or drink. And a tired puppy often makes a sleepy puppy.

All night is too long for a puppy, she will probly need to go out at least one time during the night. Take her out on a leash so she goes and you know she goes. Give her a little treat and place her back into the crate. No play time as that will get her too excited to sleep.

Give her a shirt or something that you have slept on or worn to comfort her and shut the door. Do not let her out as soon as she cries unless it has been long enough that she need to go potty.

Good luck with your new baby.

Aren't there some plush animals that you can buy that have a "ticking heart" designed to put in the crate with a pup? I think I have seen them advertised. Not sure if they would work or not.. and, I have never had the joy of a very young puppy..

With my puppies, I kept the crate either on the bed or right beside it, so I could stick my fingers in when puppy would cry. That seemed to help increase the puppy's comfort level.

Jack Jack was always crated with Gracie (bless her heart) so he wouldn't get lonely and that helped too.

Aren't there some plush animals that you can buy that have a "ticking heart" designed to put in the crate with a pup? I think I have seen them advertised. Not sure if they would work or not.. and, I have never had the joy of a very young puppy..

I'll have to see if I can find one :)

With my puppies, I kept the crate either on the bed or right beside it, so I could stick my fingers in when puppy would cry. That seemed to help increase the puppy's comfort level.

Jack Jack was always crated with Gracie (bless her heart) so he wouldn't get lonely and that helped too.

I thought of doing that last night with Tanz, but he started freeking out when he realized he wasn't going to get to sleep on my bed. So its one or the other that freaks...Her kennel is about 3 feet from my bed I didn't have any where else to put it, I had to put a cover over it or her crying is 1000 times worse and she wakes the neighbours :(

LOL, I thought I was the only one who slept half off the bed. My hubbie threatened to laugh if I fell out of bed.

Jack Jack was always crated with Gracie (bless her heart) so he wouldn't get lonely and that helped too

Hannah came first (she is eight weeks older than Maggie), so when Maggie came home with us I faced the two crates toward each other so the could see & smell each other. Helped alot.

Decorating tip: crate makes a lovely night stand. Use a serving ready on tip of a nice table runner; gives you room for a small lamp and alarm clock!

Decorating tip: crate makes a lovely night stand. Use a serving ready on tip of a nice table runner; gives you room for a small lamp and alarm clock!

That's exactly what I did when I was crate training Missy and Apollo! I also put a fuzzy blanket over the kennel to reduce distractions so she could just see where I was in bed and he rest was dark.

If my crates looked like yours, is have them as a night stand for sure! Having the dogs' crates close to the bed is good for dogs that can't sleep on the bed. Because my boys aren't on the best of terms, only Farley sleeps on the bed. Jack Jack and Grace are crated nearby, though. Since I'm gone all day, I figure they should at least sleep in the same room. It works for us :)

So I took all your advice and put her kennel on the bed last night, that in itself was an adventure Tanz slept stretched so he had one paw on me and one paw touching her kennel and kept rotating who got the butt, she calmed down much faster then the previous nights but then decided at 5:15 am it was play time! I'm still not sure how she did it but from in her kennel not only did she get all wound up, but she got Tanz all wound up so he was running circles on the bed like it was Nascar! I think I know who the little trouble maker is going to be out of the 2 of them already....:wacko:

I also have a new puppy and have been sleeping on the couch so hubbie could get a little shut eye. A new puppy is a lot like a baby but I have been so lucky with our new guy. I put his little pen right beside me,if he whines I rub him till he goes back to slept,he if climbs on the side I take him out for potty. Be very quiet (I do not even talk to him except "good boy" for peeing) and put him right back in pen so he does not learn he can get attention,playtime or out of crate if he whines. He also likes to go to sleep a couple of hours before our bedtime so I try to keep him up playing...helps a lot with sleeping better and longer through the night. I hope your baby is getting better as one day you will look back at this stage with fond memories.:)

New puppy here as well, Im doing the cold turkey night crying and hope it only lasts a few nights. First night was bad cried about 3 times during the night. Last night seemed less. I get up about 5.45am before she wakes so she isn,t crying to get up. She is with me all day but I want her to have her room down stairs. Our last dog just use to take herself off to bed when she was ready. But baby Lexi does whine quite a bit sometimes for no reason at all maybe her little teeth are sore :( I dont have a crate I just keep her in a pen at night and was thinking I should maybe feed her in there to make it a nicer place, so started feeding in there this morning....thats 2 nights down hoping for a bit better tonight.

Feeding her in her pen will be a big help, I bet. Also leave a random kibble in there, or a favorite toy. Do the "happy song & dance" whenever Lexi might wander in.

Feeding her in her pen will be a big help, I bet. Also leave a random kibble in there, or a favorite toy. Do the "happy song & dance" whenever Lexi might wander in.
Thanks Deborah I will work on that, she is certainly a challenge, but sooooooo cute :wub:

Back