New puppy or is it a howler monkey?

There isn't much dogs do in a perfectly straight line. I bet tonight is better. :eek:

Last night was not as bad, but still going on, this will be night 8 tonight. I'm thinking I'm getting used to her screaming instead of her getting better lol. Watch this space, I will be so excited when it stops......

Night number 10 coming up and still screaming, had to move Lexi to the kitchen to save our neighbours. I have never known a pup to go on as as long as this....fingers crossed she will give up soon :(

Have you tried covering her crate with a towel? What about wrapping a hot water bottle in a towel so she can snuggle with it? Some dogs appreciate having a radio or TV left on, just for background noise.

Just some ideas that might help . . .

Kelly had great advise. I was wondering do you take her out to potty during the night? Some times when my girls fussed, a trip outside a quick cuddle and then back in the crate and they were good for the rest of the night. Don't play with her or give her food or water, just back to bed.

I have good news yayyyyyy!!! No screaming last night.... My OH puts her to bed because he would go to bed later than me and I'm up earlier so its less hours she is on her own. Well I saw on the net this guy put his puppy in the room and he lay on the other side of the door when the puppy cried, the pup could smell him there, so the pup went quiet, he then took off his t shirt and left it at the door and sneaked away quietly. Lexi is not crated she has her bed in the kitchen with newspaper around. She does one pee and one poo over night, which I didn't think was to bad, she will eventually get clean over night. The radio didn't make any difference...anyway I told my husband to wedge my tshirt under the door. He said she didn't scream when he left her just whimpered a few seconds. We didn't hear a thing over night, I was so worried I got up at five to check her lol. I woke her up for a change lol . I don't know if it was the tshirt on the other side of the door or not, because she has had one of my tshirt s with her in her bed since day one. Maybe it has just clicked that we are coming back. Or maybe she is happier in the kitchen and not penned as she was in the dining room. I am just so pleased and hope this is not just a one off. I will report tomorrow ....:)

So glad to hear! Reminds me of when my kids were little and they finally slept all night. I'd wake them up checking to be sure they were OK. :lol:

Surely you are wrong and someone that cute wouldn't have been making all that noise! Hope she's now decided to be quiet for you.

Last edited:
Hoping this is just the beginning of the rest of her life! Go Lexi Go! :cheer:

I will tell you how cute tomorrow morning lol

Hehehe, it's like having a baby they keep you up all night and you are tired then they do something cute or smile at you and all is forgiven and they are the sweetest thing ever.....:)

Puppies are alot of fun and alot of work! Just like a brand new human baby! I remember when we brought Apollo home. He is our first Boston Terrier and I was aprehensive because of the "rumors" my mother shared of small dogs being harder to housebreak. I have so far found this to be totally false! I think back to all the winning and crying of crate training (ie housebreaking, no chewing, etc)...but when I moved Apollo's kennel to our bedroom and put it right next to the bed all was well and good. He was housebroke by 3 months...we got him at 7.5 weeks (a little early but the situation called for it). And my Cocker mix, Dagmar, I got her at the same age as Apollo and she was also housebroke and sleeping in my bed by 12 weeks. Skye -- my Siberian Husky -- was almost 6 months old by the time she figured it out! Sibes are STUBORN tho!

Honestly, I'm happy that Audra is through most of the baby baby stuff. Sure we will have "new home" syndrome but she will adapt in no time -- I'm sure of it!!!!

Can't wait to hear how last night went with Lexi! I can live puppyhood vicariously through you!

Well here we are night 2 of no screaming going to bed, BUT ! She woke at about 4.30am and started whining, so I left her till 5.00am and then went down. We then went to the sofa and grabbed another hours sleep. Things can only get better....lol. But it's great she is not screaming when she is put to bed....

Back