Riley: Horrible News

Karen
I'm so happy for you!!! YAY!!! I kind of think like Linny.. a sleepy puppy is a calm puppy.. I remember when Bunkie broke his elbow, my vet said that exact thing.. perscribed some meds to keep him calm.. melatonin would work ^_^

That is great news. Did your vet send you home with anything to clean his foot with? Gabby developed an ulcer on his front paw and the vet sent us home with a bottle of SulfOxyDex Shampoo. Along with antibiotics, his foot healed fine. Also in the hospital we use CarraKlenz wound cleaner on necrotic wounds. It helps cut down the odor and helps with healing.

Anything To Save That Toe

Right now, whatever you can do to improve circulation to that foot will help it heal faster. Make sure he's getting plenty of water and eating well. Avoid any situation that would cause pressure to his foot (i.e. a tight dressing). Get him an orthopedic kennel pad to help reduce any pressure to that foot. You could just buy some egg crate foam and cover it with a sheet. You could gently massage his foot or gently clean it with a soapy cloth to stimulate blood flow. Make sure and keep his foot clean and dry. Oh, and guard that toe. Make sure he doesn't get it caught on anything that might cause further damage.

Yippee!!! Riley's home!

Wonderful news Karen! Still praying for continued healing for his foot and hip with no complications! :thumbsup:

First thing I did this AM was check on Riley when I came in. I couldn't believe he was home. What a relief for you, Keith, Riley and dylan... Nothing like having the family all together. Keeping Riley in my prayers that his little paw and foot continue to heal. Great suggestions, Manuel... Bet the egg crate would fell great and relieve some pressure. Peggy

Way to go Riley. Welcome home buddy.

Herbie, Murphy, Barney and Freddie are doing the cocker spaniel happy dance (butts wiggling like crazy) after hearing that Riley is home.

Keep up the good work Riley and speedy recovery to you.

Riley is on a strong antibiotic. He is also on a pain medication which is supposed to make him calm and a little sleepy also. I think the joy of being home was just too strong for the pain medication. I soak his foot in epsom salts twice a day and there is a topical antibiotic to apply. I need to get busy in a few minutes and soak that foot. The vet's office was very nice. They charged me for an exam, xrays, and meds. However for all the care they gave Riley while he was there, they just charged me a basic boarding fee. That was so nice of them because I know he got woanderful care and it was a lot of work for them.

Riley and I are going to have to come to an agreement. He stays calm as long as I am in the family room with him but becomes agitated if I leave the room. I CANNOT sit on my bottom for two weeks here on the couch. I had cut out a small quilt yesterday and hoped to work on it but the pack n play can't make it to my sewing room. Plus I go back and forth to the family room to do the cutting. He is my little shadow normally. This will be hard but I do need to be able to move around the house.

Maybe you need one of those doggy backpacks, so you can carry him around with you? I'm saying that somewhat tongue in cheek . . . but I don't know if anything like that would work? Or else he needs a stronger sedative, to keep resting.

Riley and I are going to have to come to an agreement. He stays calm as long as I am in the family room with him but becomes agitated if I leave the room. I CANNOT sit on my bottom for two weeks here on the couch. I had cut out a small quilt yesterday and hoped to work on it but the pack n play can't make it to my sewing room. Plus I go back and forth to the family room to do the cutting. He is my little shadow normally. This will be hard but I do need to be able to move around the house.

LOL...but momma....why not. Can you put a bed in the sewing room and tether him someway, that way when you have to leave the room he will not be able to follow you. Or can you do as much cutting as possible and then make few trips to the sewing table?

Or else he needs a stronger sedative, to keep resting.

that might work too...

Sorry it has taken me a few days to check in. We had some computer problems. He's the first thing I checked on. I am thrilled to see he's back home!!! We'll be praying for that foot to continue healing. He sounds like a Mommy's boy. Renie is a total Mommy's boy. It's nice to have someone love you that much. Ren is going to keep me sane in a few weeks when my youngest son heads off to kindergarten (sniff)

Karen
What about moving your sewing machine just temporarly? Would that work, then you both would be happier..

Riley is a little wild thing today. The vet's office said that he sat so well soaking his foot in the water. I wonder whose foot they we soaking cause it sure wasn't Riley's. As sson as I lift the little booger out of his pen, he wants to run all over on his three feet. I'v been putting a leash on him but he's still tying to run. The skin is sluffing off his foot and there is some discharge but overall he seems to be doing well.

It must mean he's feeling better if he's wild. That's a good thing, even though he's supposed to be resting. Tsk, tsk Riley! You be good for your momma!

Hopefully you can find a balance between rest and activity that works for both of you.

How's the hip?

WEll, don't laugh, but I did carry a very sick puppy in a papoose thing on my chest for a few weeks.

You just need to get a crate for the other room you're in.

I'm so glad that Riley is home and doing better. Please know that prayers continue for Riley.

Linny has a great idea Karen.. how about another one of those thingies for your sewing room??

I know its hard to keep Riley down when he's finally feeling better, but you will preservere, it's for his own good.

Riley's too long for his crate while wearing the cone. I just put a bed in there and gated the door. It seemed to work except then Dylan wanted in and out. He jumped the gate.

Back