Riley: Horrible News

Riley's too long for his crate while wearing the cone. I just put a bed in there and gated the door. It seemed to work except then Dylan wanted in and out. He jumped the gate.

Well Karen I guess that's okay as long as Riley doen't try to follow his brother.^_^

Well the vet did warn me and it is happening, Riley is sluffing the skin on his foot and the back of his lower leg. After I've soaked his leg in the Epsom Salts and water, skin is really coming off. I can now see the bone is his leg. I was also warned this might happen but it's still hard. The vet is hoping scar tissue will fill in on his leg and I sure hope it does. Riley is putting more weight on his foot and wakling a little on it also, which is good. It's just so hard to see his bone.

Yep, that would be really tough for me too Karen. Scary. But at least he HAS the foot, that's something. And hopefully the scar tissue will fill everything in.

How's he doing otherwise?

It is just great that he is able to be home. He will definitely improve faster surrounded by those he loves. Still praying for the foot to heal over. I don't think I could handle seeing the bone either.

{{{{Karen}}}
It is better Riley is home with you, and we are sure praying that he continues his improvement. I know it's hard to see his bone, hopefully he will develop the scar tissue.

Oh geez Karen...my heart goes out to you and that little one. If it's any consolation at all I have had two nasty burns where bones were exposed and they healed just fine. One from a drop of burnt sugar making flan and the other from hitting the back of my hand on the top coil of the oven while rescuing baked chicken. That one was really bad! Nice scar on the back of my hand about 4 inches long. I wanna just hug Riley and smother him in kisses now...:luv:

:huggles: Karen, it's part of the healing process. The dead stuff needs to come off so healing can take place. I cant stress how important it is to keep everything clean. I would wash his bedding as often as possible. Even wipe down his crate with Clorox wipes. What did the vet say about bathing? Believe or not I use baby wipes on Gabby to help keep him clean after using the bathroom. It will help cut down on the amount of germs.

I cant imagine what your going through seeing bone! I cant even think about it. You are very strong. Hopefully it will heal up now that everything bad is sloughing off. Best of wishes from Wy.

Manuel,
I am wiping down the pen at least twice a day with Kirkland wipes. I have been putting a fleece blanket in there with him. I wash that dailey. Riley has been laying quietly on his bed for part of the day. I let him lay on one side, flip it, wash the cover, start on the second bed, flip it, wash it, etc. I will have to try the baby wipes and I will have to ask the vet about bathing.

Karen
You are doing everything right. We will all continue to support you with our thoughts and prayers. {{{{{}}}}}

Manuel,
I am wiping down the pen at least twice a day with Kirkland wipes. I have been putting a fleece blanket in there with him. I wash that dailey. Riley has been laying quietly on his bed for part of the day. I let him lay on one side, flip it, wash the cover, start on the second bed, flip it, wash it, etc. I will have to try the baby wipes and I will have to ask the vet about bathing.

Whenever the girls have had to have surgery (like spay, Hannahs mouth, Maggies cyst removal) I used old pillow cases to cover the bedding, then changed it every day. It was also easier to see if there was any weeping or bleeding on the smooth cotton rather than the fleece itself.

Well the vet did warn me and it is happening, Riley is sluffing the skin on his foot and the back of his lower leg. After I've soaked his leg in the Epsom Salts and water, skin is really coming off. I can now see the bone is his leg. I was also warned this might happen but it's still hard.

Oh Karen...I am so sorry....To the bone..oh man I was hoping this might not happen so deeply...I can't imagine. But it is a good sign that he is putting weight on it. And it does need to happen for the new skin to fill in.

You of course have our continued support and prayers heading your way...

Hugs incoming....know that we are thinking about you.

Karen & Riley... What an ordeal... Hope his little paw starts to show some signs of improvement. You are doing sucha good job of caring for him. Both of you will continue to be in my prayers. Peggy

DJ,
I tried to use a port a crib sheet on Rileys pack n play but it just makes the matress fold up. I would guess that if I was getting a portable crib for a baby, I wouldn't get the cheapest one since the matress is so thin. I also tried just putting a sheet over the matress but Riley was getting tangled up in it so I put in the fleece blanket and that has worked. Believe me, there is no disguising the fact that there is weeping from his wound--it's more like crying than weeping.

Just a thought

DJ,
I tried to use a port a crib sheet on Rileys pack n play but it just makes the matress fold up. I would guess that if I was getting a portable crib for a baby, I wouldn't get the cheapest one since the matress is so thin. I also tried just putting a sheet over the matress but Riley was getting tangled up in it so I put in the fleece blanket and that has worked. Believe me, there is no disguising the fact that there is weeping from his wound--it's more like crying than weeping.

Since you mention heavy drainage you can try putting an alginate dressing on the wound. Calcium alginate is very easy to work with, absorbs drainage, and promotes wound healing. It looks like cotton candy. You rip off pieces and place it in the wound. It sticks to drainage so it will stay in place on its own. Calcium alginate come off real easy too. It will come off by itself and a little gentle washing during his Epsom salt soaks.

Restore-12-Calcium-Rope-Drsng.gif
http://www.amazon.com/CarraGinate-Alginate-Dressing-inch-rope/dp/B000K6GZD0

You can find this at your local medical supply store. No prescription needed. Look for brands like Kendall, AlgiSite, or CarraGinate. Ask for the "rope" type--the square sheets are too thin and made for smaller wounds.

Manuel,
Thanks for the baby wipe tip. They are great to use to clean up the area around his wound, like his tummy and his other back leg on the inside where he gets dirty when his legs lay on top of each other. Riley smells a whole lot better now. :) Taking care of Riley reminds me so much of taking care of my DD two years ago when she had major surgery on her achilies tendons and heels (one at a time.) It was so much work to get her her bath in the beginning and she would be so exhausted when she was done. Riley is the same way with his leg soak. When he's done soaking, dried, cleaned with the baby wipe, and ointment applied -- he's just ready for a nap. You can tell it really tires him out.

Wow Karen, you definitely have your hands full!! I am glad to hear that Riley continues to improve... All wounds heal with time, and of course love :)
We will keep Riley, Dylan and you (for your sanity) in our prayers for as long as needed :)

Melissia

Awe, huggles to Riley. :huggles: Glad the wipes are helping with the smell. Is Dykan doing any better?

Back