Strormy needs your prayers please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
He'll be so mad at me, but, I'm thinking of emptying the pills and giving to him in a dropper right in his mouth. Those pills are keeping the infection at bay. He doesn't need that to flare up on top of the melanoma. So, that's what I'm going to do. He actually only missed Friday night and yesterday. Dern smart butt lol...

It's going to be another scorcher today.

Arggg....Stormy!! you little stinker. Sometimes once they bite the capsule and get that bitter taste it is hard to get them to take it again. Can you try it with a little bite of hot dog. Give the others a bite or several skipping over Stormy and then offer him one he might take it that way. Some times I scramble an egg, add a little cheese and that works.

Ellie is super nose - she can smell a pill a mile away. If I so much as touch the outside of the pill to whatever I am using to hide it in she can smell it and refuses it. Smarty pants!!!
I get out whatever I am going to use (usually Velveeta) and get it ready. I flatten it so I can roll it around the pill. I then get out the pill and put it on top of the Velveeta - then I wash my hands to remove all nasty pill smell. Last step is to roll up the pill in the Velveeta without getting nasty pill smell on the cheese she will taste. UGH. Most of the times it works..... sometimes not so much.

You have my greatest sympathy on this Polly!

Here's something that might help gettig the pills down Stormy. Thirty years ago when I was working as a pediatric nurse, I learned that babies have a reflex that causes them to swallow. After you get the meds in their mouth, gently tap their nose or blow into their nose. They will reflexively swallow. A couple of years later, when I began breeding persians, I tried it on the cats and it worked! Later, I asked the vet about it and she onfirmed that dogs and cats had the same reflex as human babies, but unlike humans, they don't lose it at 12 months. I have used this on my cockers when they are recalcitrant about taking pills. Once I get the pills into their mouth, I gently hold their mouth shut and blow puffs of air into their nose or gently tap until they swallow. This works about 7 out of 10 times for me.

Also, I could be wrong, but I don't think the "iodine" test has anything to do with the thyroid. I think it refers to a type stain they do to differentiate cancer cells on the slide the pathologist looks at.

Hope Stormy and you have a restful Sunday.

Best Wishes for a Speedy Recovery!

Gale and her crew Shadow, Tango and Gibbs

Last edited:
If it were me, I'd speak to him via a communicator to find out what the problem is and how he'd like to get them and get the point across that he needs them. I can recommend a couple of people if you want to go that route.

My cockers I just call them to get cookies and hand them the pills. But my doberman was a bit more 'normal'. I'd stick the pill in something yummy and have a few identical pieces handy. I'd have her do a few quick training exercises and have the first ones as the rewards and then give the medicated one and then another reg treat. She was focused on doing something else and just swallowed the pill. The trick for her was to give her something slippery like hotdogs or cheese rather than something she might try to chew.

I hope you can get it sorted out; its so awful when they're sick and dont understand we're trying to help

Well, I did what I said I would. I suspended the antibiotic in water, put it in a pump syringe and gave it to him about 730 this morning. Now I know for sure. Within about 30 minutes he was nauseated, my poor baby boy. His tummy was upset until tonite at 9pm. We had a late dinner because of the heat. We tried everything thru the day to get him to eat. He didn't even want his yogurt ice cube.

But he ate his hamburger tonite!! Vern fed it to him. Then he rolled around on the floor with the biggest smile on his face.

So tomorrow first thing when Dr. Baylor calls me, I will talk to him about the prescription. If he needs to be on antibiotics after his surgery, I hope he can be on a different one.

Yes the iodine test is to see cancer cells.

Sorry, I am not a believer in animal communicators.

I let my dogs talk to me in their own way.

Poor Stormy, I'm sure Doc can find an antibiotic that's better for his tummy.

Poor Stormy. I hope he feels better. I do like animal communicators. Over 15 years ago, my sister and I were doing the America's family Pet Expo along with our dog Chadwick, who I have spoken about on here a few times. Lydia Hibby the animal communicator was there and we had Chadwick read, I have to say she was right on with what she had to say. She to us things that only Chadwick would know, we did not tell her anything before hand. It was really interesting, I would love to have these 2 babies read by her.

Hope Stormy had a good night and also that you will get good news at the vet today.

I hope they can put him on a different antibiotic, there are enough of them out there ! I hope you hear from the vet and can get this taken care of you and put it behind you. Hugs to you guys

Stormy had a great night last night. Slept well. I slept in till 330 this morning, Stormy till 630. He came outside with me and Pogo when I watered my plants, he ran and played with Pogs a little. Did my heart good. I brought him inside and put him up on the counter to brush him a little. He gave me the stink eye LOL... I bet the was afraid of getting that pill again.

Hopefully I will hear from the vet first thing.. I may put off his breakfast just in case he says to bring him in this morning for surgery.. but I'm really expecting it to be tomorrow or Wed... he will want to wait for the iodine smear first.

I'll let you all know the minute I know.

I'm feeling very positive that we will be successful and will have the Storm with us for a long while yet.

Checkin in to see how Stormy is doing...looking forward to what news you have from your vet Polly! Love to you and Stormy!

It's almost 10am.. no news yet. I'll wait till 2 pm I guess. The reports from the lab come in about noon, Dr goes to lunch and is back by 2... I think I will give Stormy his breakfast after all.

Rebecca reminded me that this week is a holiday week. So, if he has to spend the night to be on IV's (which I don't know) I don't think I want him to have it after tomorrow.

If you are up to it, you might call, saying you know "it's early for lab to have called, but here's what going on." It's a chance to ask how the holiday is impacting the surgery schedule. That might help-- both doc's admin for provisioning, and you and Vern for the waiting. Hugs.

So glad to hear that Stormy had a good night. Wishing you well at the Vet's today!

Glad Stormy is doing well. Hope the news from the vet is good. I am waiting with you as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back