Update on us

Cocker Dad

Owned by
2 cockers
Hi everyone!! I just realized the other day I had not gotten any emails from the group lately, then remembered the group had changed. I figured I had better sign in and update on what has been going on before I get attacked by all these dogs...LOL We had to take Butters to the vet today to have a mole removed from his back. They put him out and it took about an hour to do as they also cleaned his teeth. He was a little groggy but is awake now. He just ate and went out to potty. R.J. is being a good brother and making sure he is ok. He is doing just fine and he just turned 3 last month. We just started going for walks again and he loves it. I think he thinks he is hunting and not going to potty. He was sitting and staring out the window this afternoon whining because there was a cat on the porch next door. He wants a cat for his very own but he is not respoonsible enough...LOL. Butters is 12 now, can't believe we have had him for so long. I know he is starting to walk a little slower at times (unless he sees a cat). Anyone have any sug-
gestions or recommendations about something for his joints to make them a little better? And do you think R.J. should take it too? I forget to ask our vet today. Thanks for any help or advice.

Randy

Hi Randy!!!
It's great to see you finally found your way here! I'm so glad you did!
We missed you and Butters & RJ! This is a great new forum!!! It includes our old MSN family and the AOL cocker family plus some great people that we are blessed to have with us.

Post some pictures! And, read the introduction forum we have all re-introduced ourselves there.:)

I'm glad you made it. Everyone, Randy is one of our old MSN members. Post pictures of R.J. I don't remember him too well. If I remember correctly, Butters has a weight problem. The best thing you can do for Butters' joint problem is take off that extra weight. I know, easier said than done. Gabby is overweight too (36 or 39LBS) and has 2 bad knees. This spring I'm going make an effort to bring his weight down. Glucosamine and chondroitin supplements are supposed to be good for joint care. Two of our vets recommended it for Gabby. I can't remember the dosage. Don't buy the bottles that say double or triple strength. If there's a CVS in your area, they sell glucosamine and chondroitin for dogs: http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/shop_product_detail.jsp?filterBy=&skuId=436877&productId=436877

Glad to hear Butters' surgery went well. Add some pictures to your album. Check in the link called User CP.

Hi Randy, RJ and Butters! My name is Kelly, and I'm one of the more recent additions to the site :) I am involved in breeding and showing Cockers (very light on the breeding), and I also teach and compete in Obedience and Rally Obedience. I'd LOVE to see pictures of your kids :)

Gabby is suppossed to be on a prescription diet for his allergies but we end up giving him people food too. The Puppy Stew sounds like a great idea though.

Gabby is suppossed to be on a prescription diet for his allergies but we end up giving him people food too. The Puppy Stew sounds like a great idea though.

Manuel it does wonders!!! Ask Linny. She will tell you of a friends Bulldog that she recommended be put on it. She did great on it. :)

Have used Glucosamine/Chondroitan from Walmart for ages! It has worked great on my dogs. Monte came to me with bad hips and it only took maybe three months for his hips to clear up. He's off them now but I keep a close eye on him in case he needs them again. It's done really well for Coco at 13 1/2 years old. He's not running and playing but he's walking where he could barely stand up when I brought him home. He was severely underweight when I got him but he's ancient too. Charlie's been on them since Thanksgiving and he's not dragging his back leg anymore. Even running a bit. Age unknown but maybe 10 ish I think.

I just posted some pics of us and our boys. Butters is also 36 pounds. He has lost 4 pounds. I have not decided if I am going to take him on walks anymore. I don't want to make things worse for him by forcing him to walk. :unsure: There is a CVS near our house, I will have to look for that.

Randy and the :dog::dog:

Thanks for posting your pics. I'd still recommend walks for him, just limit them. He needs the excersice and the range of motion for his joints. If it's been a while since he's been for walks increase the distance little by little each week. Butters will let you know what he's comfortable with.

Harmony Animal Hospital said:
Strong muscles help stabilize joints and in dogs may slow the progression of degenerative joint diseases such as hip dysplasia and arthritis. Exercise also strengthens the heart and lungs.

Senior Dogs Project said:
Two shorter walks will be less stressful on aging joints than one long walk. The walks can be quite brisk, provided the vet has given approval. A brisk walk should have four components:
  • a warm-up of about 5 minutes, gradually increasing the pace
  • brisk walking of about 20 minutes
  • a cool-down of about 5 minutes, during which you gradually decrease the pace
  • a drink of water.

If your CVS doesn't have that supplement in stock ask them to order it for you. It shouldn't be any problem and the price looks reasonable.

Randy!
I really enjoyed your pictures! I didn't realize that you lost Buddy. We have not been keeping in touch like we should have. I'm so sorry.

Did you know that I lost 3 of my six a year ago this month? We lost Patrick, Pookie and my Bunkie.

We were gifted with a wonderful boy Stormy by Robin of Stormbeau cockers, a member of our forum and a great friend of mine.

Today is Stormy's birthday!

My first career was as a physiotherapist, so I can say with confidence that I agree 110% with Manuel - short walks are better than long walks, and keeping Butters active is very important. The muscles support the joints, so strong muscles actually help keep the pain levels down.

Thank you, Polly. Yes, Buddy passed away last August. He had gone to the vet to have some dental work done and never really recovered. He pretty much slept that first night. The next day he still would not eat or drink and would not go potty even if I carried him outside. I took him to bed with me that night to keep an eye on him and he had a seizure at midnight and died. Our vet came over and got him and took care of arranging to have him cremated. We have his ashes on a stand in our dining room with his name tag glued on it and with a plaque we bought. I made him a page on Rainbows Bridge. If you want to see it, the address is http://RainbowsBridge.com/resident/BUDDY254/Residen.htm. Sorry to hear about your furbabies, but it's nice that you have a new furbaby.

Randy and the boys

I read Buddy's page. I remember when you adopted him. I'm glad Buddy found a nice home to spend the rest of his life in and left you such wonderful memories. :luv:

I picked up the Glucosemine Chondroitin at CVS yesterday. I did not know it was going to be a pill (actually, soft squishy gel that Butters just stared at). Does Gabby take it just like that or do you have to hide it in something? Thanks for the advice.

Randy
Do you remember my Bunkie? He had such horrible problems, at the end of his life, I was giving him triple strength people glucosmine and samE that I got from the store. It was easiest for me to just shove them down his throat.

He was the beginning of my terrible losses last year..
I lost him on Feb 27th
Pookie on March 21
Patrick on March 29th..

Then Carmen who Robin and I lost on 11/3..

They didn't have the doggie version? The doggie version sounded like a treat. You might have to do like Polly suggested. Gabby takes his pills in peanut butter. The gucosamine pills don't taste bad (to him anyways) so I didn't have to put too much peanut butter on. Shoving it in a piece of hot dog works too but that's not healthy in the long run.

Yes Manuel.. now with my 3 boys and Tunie I just give it as a preventative suppliment. I buy the liver flavored, they think it's a treat. We have some that are shaped like little bones, baked like cookies that's the one I give; same with the multi..

Back