hi I'm new here I just got my cocker sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

martinkris04

Hey just saying hi my name is kristina and the pic that I posted is of my cat oliver and my cocker Charlie we just adopted him sunday any advice would be wonderful we have never had a dog before. He is 3 fixed male house broke and is as sweet as can be. He does sometimes likes to chase the cat I'm in the process of teaching him "leave it" and 9 out of 10 times he does. He plays fetch pretty well too.

Hi Kristina, and welcome! I'm Deborah, and I have a 6 yo rescue cocker named Cordelia. Please be patient, as your first few posts will be moderated, but we'll post them as soon as we can. Charlie sounds like a very smart dog!

Thank u and yes I'm sure it will take a while I did see a ton of new people and posts. My biggest question I have so far is when I'm gone even for a short time 20 mins he likes to chase the cat what can I do when I'm gone besides lock the cat and him separate when I leave. I'm thinking its just a phase and will eventually stop. Ideas anything would be wonderful. I'm new to all of this I have two autistic girls 7&9 so they love him and I'm teaching them to be nice which they already are to our cat. Its all new to everyone of us.

Have you thought about crate training? When done properly, it's really a doggie fort, a den.

Haven't really thought outside of just the simple basics to have fun and have him listen to main commands. This is his third home and I am kinda trying to make sure he feels safe here since last place kept him in crate all day long. I don't want him to think of past issues.

Hi welcome, my name is Nicole, I live in Ca with my 2 Fenway and Amelia. Charlie sounds like a smart dog. I agree with Deborah, crate training is great. When I leave the house. Fenway is in the kitchen with baby gates, Amelia has a very large wire crate. That keeps them out of trouble when I am away. I am sure that in a very short time Charlie and the cat will be best friends. It is quite natural for him to chase at first. Very good for teaching "leave it".
Cockers are wonderful dogs that are very smart and easy to train.

Hello Kristina :wave:
My name is Kathy and we live in Tn. with our Cocker boy Levi. Charlie sounds like a sweet and smart boy. I agree with everyone else. I never leave Levi unless he is in a crate or pen. So many things he could get into and even dangerous things. They get use to crates very easy and it becomes part of their lives.
Good luck with your new boy

I'm torn right now my daughter was playing fetch with him and he laid on the couch and had the ball in between his paws and she toom it and he bit her and were now in er she may need stiches. I'm torn because I don't think he did it on purpose he was protecting what he had and she was told if its now away from him to leave it. Ideas suggestions anything my husband said dog gone. I don't know I want to protect both and I am not the right answer right now please advice help anything

I think were going to give it another try. Just not have the kids play with him with toys for a while I think it was an accident and he wasn't ready to play and my daughter thought he was. He was protecting his toy and I don't see it being how he is. He wakes them with licks and is super happy with them. Maybe there just a little to young to be playing that game right now. Were giving him another chance anything else happens we can't do it then.

I am sure this was an accident. Sorry to hearth is news. Maybe try to teach him to drop the ball rather than take it from him. He is new to your house. Everyone is still learning. Give him a chance. I know with mine I am able to take anything away from them, though Amelia might growl a little, I know she is playing I still can take anything with no issues. I can do anything to mine without any fear of them biting. But I have worked with them. Hope everything is ok with your daughter and also Charlie.

I agree, it was an accident. So sorry it happened, but the best mom in the world couldn't keep an eye on your lot every second. It's also another reason to look into crate training. Hope everybody is okay!

I feel like I failed to protect my daughter. I logically know it was something I couldn't predict. I still feel horrible and that I made a mistake getting a dog. If I haven't had wanted him so bad we wouldn't be in this situation.

How would crate training help a situation like this. I understand the cat one when I'm gone.

Kristina...I hope your daughter is ok. I also hope Charlie is ok as dogs pick up on feelings of their people and your husband seems quite upset and you seem to be having mixed feelings about him.

I think a trainer would be a good idea to help your family in knowing how to and what to do with a new dog. It would be great fun for the entire family and create a bond between each of you with Charlie. Just like being a first time Mom, a first dog is a learning experience and a trainer can be a wonderful adviser and helper for all of you.

Last edited:
It might help to do some daily training with him. Give him a toy and practice taking it away from him. Work up to where you can take a bone away from him without him snapping. As much as I love Cooper, he knows that I'm the alpha. But it's about trust, too. Cooper trusts that if I take something away, I will give it back to him if it's a toy or a bone. He's never snapped at me but I've found that when I need to discipline him, all I have to do is squirt him with water lightly and he immediately stops the bad behavior.
Once you've trained him to let go of items to you THEN you can get him to let go with your daughter, too.

I'm looking into some books and prices on training etc. I'm also going to work with my daughter she is freaked out. She told me she loves and likes Charlie she just doesn't want bit again. I told her that I'm glad she still loves and likes him and that he wasn't trying to hurt u. No toys tell things are figured out. Normally I can take a ball from his mouth no problems and normally he leaves it when its in between his paws. Maybe just an off day for him and this is what happened. His back story is he was with a family for 5 months they had a baby toddler and they hurt him and so he did bite them. Then he went to a person who locled him in a crate all day while she was gone at work so he barked and she called called in she lived in an apartment. And here we are with us. I know the one biting issues was when he was being hurt by kids and still preety young. I didn't have a worry cause my kids are out of that stage and are nice to animals. And I'm afraid of the crate traing for the reason of that's all he was in for 2 days the last owner had him. I think we went to fast in assuming he was able to play fetch and so we oked the kids too. I'm back tracking and starting over taking baby steps and getting things ok and happy again. Today is a new day can't change yesterday and tomm hasn't happened I'm working with the here and now to make things better for Charlie a d our family.

How old are your children? While Charlie might see you as the one in charge, he might see himself as just one of the children. He might be more than willing to give things up to you but not necessarily someone he regards as his equal or even not quite an equal.

I would strongly suggest a training class like obedience. I would even ask if there was one that let your children participate in also. That way Charlie will begin to look at all of you as the ones in charge. It will be more comfortable for him also once he knows his exact place in his pack that is your family.

I also wouldn't dismiss a crate as a horrible thing. Although it is never good for a dog to be in one all day every day, a crate is a dogs safe place. It is a safe place for the dog, a place for it to just chill. After all when you leave the the house what does a dog do for 90% of the time? It sleeps.

Since you are a novice dog owner, and, the dog you chose is a rescue (which is very good, it's just that you don't know the dogs backgound) and you have young children; I think getting a professional animal behavorist in to your home would be the fastest and safest thing you could do, for your dog and your children. The behavorist won't just be training the dog, he/she will be training your family also. Crate training would be wonderful. Or, even a baby gate to seperate when you are not "on duty" supervising. Supervision is very important for the safety of your children and the dog. Dogs of course don't speak.. but, they do have a body language, the trainer can help you understand that a little. I would say it would be the best money spent. Good Luck.

Since you are a novice dog owner, and, the dog you chose is a rescue (which is very good, it's just that you don't know the dogs backgound) and you have young children; I think getting a professional animal behavorist in to your home would be the fastest and safest thing you could do, for your dog and your children. The behavorist won't just be training the dog, he/she will be training your family also. Crate training would be wonderful. Or, even a baby gate to seperate when you are not "on duty" supervising. Supervision is very important for the safety of your children and the dog. Dogs of course don't speak.. but, they do have a body language, the trainer can help you understand that a little. I would say it would be the best money spent. Good Luck.

HI Kristina and welcome to the forum! I am not new to dogs or Cockers but have my first Cocker in my adult life, Audra, who just joined us two weeks ago today as a matter of fact. She is not a rescue, but a retired show baby....However I do have a rescue Boston Terrier so I know both sides of the coin. I am "relearning" and "remembering" puppy hood. My girl is a year old but still very much a puppy. And my Boston girl, Jersey, actually was one that I pulled a behaviorist in to help us. Jersey tho had a horrible life before we got her so there were/are internal and external scars for her. But I will tell you that although I am a few steps ahead of you having grown up with dogs and had several on my own as well....I learned ALOT from our behaviorist. They really are not very pricey honestly and as Polly said above...worth EVERY red cent!

As for caging -- I know it is hard to wrap your head around but it is NOT a bad thing at all! Your kids just need to know that when Charlie is in his cage that he is off limits to them....no banging on his cage, throwing a ball that might excitement him, or feeding treats through the cage or petting....he is to be left alone. The cage should be his safe place...a break from everyone. And yes - a break for you too. They HAVE to be watched just like your children do....once the rules are established and you are more confident he will behave as expected then less "eyeballing" will be needed. But just think of him like a toddler....when you had to do dishes or make dinner and your kids were "toddlers"....your child may have been put in a play pen so you could get something done...the kennel is the same idea.

Audra is kenneled at night while we sleep and during the day while we work and trust me she is really confused this week. Last week I was home with her so less caging....but this week she and Jersey must be kenneled while we are at work. And until Audra learns not to chase my cats...she cannot be loose at night either. She is learning tho and Charlie will too! I have 12 so Audra thinks it is a game of furry funny flat face kitties...LOL But she is learning. Of an evening for the first week we left Audra on a leash in the house and used the "leave-it" command (this is a new one to me and I find I use it ALOT and she knows it)...this really put a quick nip in the bud on her cat chasing fun...sure we have had slips now that the leash is off...but "leave it" works PERFECTLY and I know now I can trust her to follow the command.

You will be amazed at what you can learn from a behaviorist....and even just simply taking him to puppy classes (yes you can do that even at 3 years old). I'm experienced yes but always open to learn more....the more I learn then the better behaved I feel my dogs can be....I am actually taking Audra to puppy classes soon, my first ones ever and I am looking forward to bonding more with Audra and learning more with her as well! Good luck with Charlie...I think you will be fine once you get the tools to help you both! Hang in there!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back