hi I'm new here I just got my cocker sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good no food possession. I would really switch his food. I would go grain free, cockers tend not to do very well with grain. I would not wait. If course switching takes time. You need to do it over a week or so. Go a little at a time. Start by putting a very small amount of the new food with the old food. Then you can increase the new food putting less and less of the old food. Chewing feet and itching is a sign of food intolerance. I would also clean his ears. I typically clean my guys every 3-5 days. I bathe mine every week to keep skin and coat looking good. I do it because it works for my dogs. That is just the way I am. Fenway just has these skin issues that I like to keep at bay. Amelia is a show dog. That is why I am a little over the top.

Kristina...that is a nasty aggressive bite. I hope your daughter is feeling better and her hand heals quickly. Is she ok with Charlie now?

When a dog has a toy,ball or food in between its legs and paws it is theirs and to grab it away is like you are stealing it from them. Imagine in the wild when a wolf has food and has his legs and paws wrapped around it while eating.In the wild it is ok for the leader to take his food but no dog lower in the pack than them can touch it without a fight. If you had two dogs and one had a toy playing with it and the other just sat and watched that lets you know who the leader is of the two,same goes if you have three,four etc.

There is only one leader in a pack,all others fall in order after the leader. Each one knows his or hers place in the pack and respects everyone above them. If Charlie lets you take a ball from him while his paws are wrapped around it,he is saying you are above him...your young girls are still below him in his mine. You have been feeding him,walking him and tending to him...he knows you are his food provider and you are above him,but there could be a day he even challenges you. Yes everyone in the household is a pack member to Charlie and everyone has his own place,right now he has a new pack and is trying to figure out where his place is. Charlie has to learn his is the bottom of the pack. Let each of your girls feed him while you supervise and your husband needs to feed him also,make him sit,make him stay,wait till he is calm and wait till he looks at you in the eyes even if it takes five minutes,then he may have his food...10 or 15 mins later take the bowl from him and wait till next feeding to set it down again...same process over and over,sit,wait,be calm and look you in the eyes before he gets his food.
This shows Charlie that you,your girls,your husband are all above him and only you can make the choice if he eats...just like a pack in the wild. Each feeding have someone else in the household feed him. If you leave food down at all times Charlie is finding and providing his own food not you. I also have who ever is feeding Levi handle his food (wash hands after) this lets him know pack member with this smell is above him and has already had their share before he gets his.

When you led Charlie and he pulls turn and walk the other way...you are his leader and he must go the way you do and he must not run ahead of you,if he pulls when you are standing still just take a couple of steps backward. Do not use a retractable leash on him as they give him more room to run ahead of you...use a leash and keep it short while walking,if he barks at a dog,a firm "no",turn and walk the other way and when he is being calm and quiet a "good boy" and a very good treat that he loves (one he only gets on walks when he is good). This lets him know this behavior is acceptable.
Stay calm and focused, never yell or fuse at him...use firmness and be consistence every time using the same routine.

When you go in and out of the doors, make Charlie sit and stay till you go out first,don't let him run out ahead of you, the leader is always first...if he does, go back and make him sit and stay again,over and over till he does it right...once again this shows him you are the leader by not letting him run ahead of you. I know this is lots of work but it does make a huge difference,I always take the time and make Levi do these things each and every time. My dog is young and he must know his place in our home without force or raising voices but with a kind firmness that lets him know when we mean business. Each day when we do these little things it reminds him where his place in the pack is.

All breeds of dogs have their own traits,sizes and colors but deep down in their DNA is the way of the wild dog and their behavior is all the same. This is called natural training as it works with the nature of the animal in terms they can understand. I have used it for many years on my horses and dogs and there is no better training. There is no force but yet an understanding between you and your animal who is the leader.

You and your family are first time dog owners and Charlie has some issues which in turn can lead to problems. It is very wise to "closely" supervise all play with your children and Charlie till you get a trainer or animal behaviorist. Best choice is a trainer that uses natural training methods as he is both...he knows the nature of the dog and what is in his head,he knows why he does the things he does. He will watch Charlie and can evaluate him and teach you what you need to do for everyone to live in order in the household...which in turn bonds Charlie to his new pack and lets him know his place...making for a much happier, content, safer dog.

Last edited:
Kathy, I was going to comment that much of what you do sounds like what I do w/my horses, then I saw that you use it w/horses as well. And, I agree 100% w/not letting him walk in front of you. W/both dogs and horses, whoever is in the front is the alpha.

It's been a long time since I've had to train a dog, but I know w/my last dog, I could do things w/her that my children could not do. They didn't want to be bothered caring for her, so as a result, she didn't have a lot of respect for them. And, she was very bonded to me. But, my kids were older, so it wasn't as much of a problem.

Yes Dizzy,it is different with dogs as they are predators and horses are prey animals but still works the same way...both live in groups and both have a leader and everyone else has a place...both are natural training as both is working with what the animal knows in its DNA in ways they understand.
When I get a new horse I spend days just watching it and learning about it before I start any training...you can tell if it is an alpha,a mild mannered middle group member or a timid bottom of the herd horse which also can have issues. I much rather have the middle group member in both horses and dogs. After watching then you can plan a training program best suited for its personally. Same for dogs,some are alpha and hard headed,some mild mannered and easy going and some scared and timid. Each requires different approaches and different handling.
When I bring in a grown dog I do not trust that dog for quite sometime...it is only after I see it in many different conditions that my trust grows. I watch him eat,play,toys,around other people,children,other dogs,how is he in the car,in new places,what are his fears and how does he handle them,how does he handle correction.
You were your dogs leader and provider,she was second in command,your children far below her,everyone must participate in a dogs training or they go down in the pack level and the dog greatly bonds with his leader...after all it is an honor to hang out with the top dog :)

I agree with Kathy. My dogs sit at the door till I say ok then they can come. I go through first. Amelia is very good that is one thing we worked with since she was a puppy. As soon as she gets to a door she sits. Fenway of course takes longer so I have to wait till he sits or I will push his back end down. My dogs know I am the pack leader. When people come I put a towel by the door. I work with "go to your place" they sit. So when people come over they sit and stay. Till I say it's ok. Trying not to have them jump. The hard part is training the people. Don't pet unless they are sitting. That is why I say get your kids involved in the training. Feeding, walking etc. Charlie has to know the humans are the pack leaders. I really like the clicker. I use it all the time. It is at the point now where just the click is good enough for them they are happy with the click. For leaning new things I treat heavily at first as well as click.

For the food the brand we have they make a grain free version I'm going to talk to petsmart tomm and make sure they have it. Is it normal for a cocker to try to groom our hair on my husband Charlie was trying to gromm where his bread hair comes in and he went into my hairline and tryed to. He has never done this before. I stopped it after first time. Dont know what to think of it.

Yes my daughter is doing better today with Charlie. I will start working on the food thing and at least the leash part tell we can get going on other stuff. We already either go out the door side by side or him behind me when we go for a walk. I tell him to go out and go potty and when people visit I am ok with one or two small barks to warn me someone is here after that I tell him quite. My husband does feed him at night when I'm in school.

Chloe did the morning feeding. So got his empty dish and measured out his food and put it in carried the bowl out and told him to sit stay and then put bowl down but he went to it before she said (food then point to bowl his trigger it ok) so I picked it up for her and handed it to her and said do it again she did sit stay and put food down and he looked at her for a few seconds then went to the food I said pick it up and do it again u need to tell him when he can eat. Samething he sat satyed and she put bowl down and few seconds later she said food and pointed then he ate I was either behind her or next to her when she was saying it so he saw I was confroming her position so to speak. Then when he was eating she sat on couch madd sure he ate I did jasminnes medicine and when he was done 5 mins later she picked up the empty bowl and put it away. I'm going to have jasmine do it tonight. Hopefully she will understand she is super autistic.

I don't follow the dominance theory of dog training but I do follow the cooperative theory. However, I don't think it matters so much what theory you use. Work with your trainer and be consistent. That's the very most important thing.

What's the differences I'm doing this to get him to see she's an owner too. I still want him to be like a dog and things. Like at a park smell all the trees and things without him always having to be next to me. We were given a rectractable leash which is what u use i have him close when by street or going by other dogs but let him retract it so he cab go smell things its new for him. So I guess I'm going for whatever is in the middle. He knows were owners to him and he listens to each of us but can still be a dog.

What's the differences I'm doing this to get him to see she's an owner too. I still want him to be like a dog and things. Like at a park smell all the trees and things without him always having to be next to me. We were given a rectractable leash which is what u use i have him close when by street or going by other dogs but let him retract it so he cab go smell things its new for him. So I guess I'm going for whatever is in the middle. He knows were owners to him and he listens to each of us but can still be a dog.

Nothing wrong with what you're doing. I have my dogs sit for food. I would have them sit to have their leashes put on also but Ki gets so massively excited sitting is simply beyond him. Farley sits however. I just don't follow the theory that dogs always need to exit behind you, etc. I follow a different philosophy but as I said consistency in what you do is the key. Dogs like knowing the rules and like following them.

Great that you're having your daughter work with him. It's a very good idea. I do not like retractable leashes. I have seen them jam and once a dog ran out on one and the leash just kept going until the dog was running free and the owner tried to catch them. I also like my dog knowing how far they can go on their leashes at all times. I also love the comfort of a well broken in leather leash. Plus I have two dogs and have you ever tried to walk two dogs on flexi leads? Talk about tangled!

Nothing wrong with what you're doing. I have my dogs sit for food. I would have them sit to have their leashes put on also but Ki gets so massively excited sitting is simply beyond him. Farley sits however. I just don't follow the theory that dogs always need to exit behind you, etc. I follow a different philosophy but as I said consistency in what you do is the key. Dogs like knowing the rules and like following them.

Great that you're having your daughter work with him. It's a very good idea. I do not like retractable leashes. I have seen them jam and once a dog ran out on one and the leash just kept going until the dog was running free and the owner tried to catch them. I also like my dog knowing how far they can go on their leashes at all times. I also love the comfort of a well broken in leather leash. Plus I have two dogs and have you ever tried to walk two dogs on flexi leads? Talk about tangled!

I don't like the retractable leashes either. I know of one friend who placed a cocker with a family. The daughter of the family was holding the leash and the leash malfunctioned, she lost the dog. Thank goodness there was a massive effort to find it, and it was safe but scared. This happened years ago, I don't know if they have improved those leashes, but I won't use them.

Just gave Charlie his first bath at home and blow dried his fur he did great

Got a new leash its nylon one inch thick and 4 feet long it was the shortest I could find. I also go the authority dog food in grain free we will see how this works out.

Should I try to cut his nails I'm not sure where to cut or what to use. I use regular nail human cuters on my cats but looking at his nails I'm thinking its not gonna work. What do u all u if u cut ur dogs nails what kind of clippers do u use.

I got some clippers but now he won't let me cut his nails. I can still pet and touch his feet. I'm not going to force it. I just figured since I gave him a bath I would try the nails too.

Kristina...there is not much difference in the end ,you still have a cooperating dog because he knows his limits and you are his leader. I am much more sticker with a new "grown dog" that any other dog as they are set in their ways from previous owners and I do not know what they are capable of till I watch and learn them. Strick meaning make them do it every time. As they learn these things it becomes more easy and just a second nature for both you and them. The little things I told you are all good exercises to help Charlie know you,your daughter and husband are his leaders. Later when you "fully trust" in him,things do not have to be so strict. Example...when he walks good on a lead without pulling and lunging on you,he can have more leash room to play and stop and smell things....right now he is learning he should not do these things so he must be taught every time or he will think it is "ok" to get by with wrong behavior some of the time.
Right now Charlie is in a new home with new people and needs structure and consistency till he figures out everyone,everything and his place in his new home. He is new,you do not know him well yet or he you,he pulls on leash and lunges at other dogs and he has bitten...so he needs a firm hand (not mean but firm) till all is safe and you totally trust in him around you and your family and to take him out on walks.
My guys are still dogs and love being with us,they run,smell and hunt in large fields,play and have lots of time to just be dogs. My Sons 3 year old English Bulldog took a firm hand (a firm hand is not being mean it is just you almost have to make them do these things every time till they learn even if it takes a long time ...it is easy and just a quick routine once they learn.) When she was young she was a typical bulldog, very stubborn and hardheaded. She now is one of the most easy to work with,trusting and loving dogs I have ever seen. She loves everything and everyone. I had her in a store a couple of weeks ago and three small girls came running around the corner straight for her,before I knew it,one was on each side of her on the floor and the smallest was on the floor with a jaw in each hand and kissing her on the nose....their Mother came around the corner and said oh...does she bite. Would I ever say any dog would not bite "NO" as you never know what a living creature would do under different situations. Even with all her training, I held my breath as I had never seen her in a situation like this surrounded with small children and pulling on her jaws and right in her face,I got calmly down on the floor collar in hand to watch her eyes and body as dogs will give a sign if not happy or scared about something...but she did perfect. Things like this can happen when we least expect them and a well trained,well socialized dog handles them much better.
Levi is a baby and he is taught strict (meaning each time) but very kindly and gentle as he is very sensitive to things and learns them very fast,not at all like Sophie was...as he gets older I will start to add more things to his training as I feel he is ready for them. He is doing the same commands that the hard headed bulldog did but in a much different more gentle way as he has a much different personally and willingness.
Each dog is different,age,background,timid,aggressive,new homes,new pets,new smells,new situations can affect each dogs behavior different. Each dog needs a different type of training...I have never seen Charlie or got to "really" watch him and his behavior...how you hold your leash when walking or what triggers him to lunge and what you do to correct it...how he looks and acts when your daughters are close by him or playing with him,how possessive he is with his toys or food...the things I told you are general things that can help him with your children and family...Charlie may need far more work than I listed but then again he may need less. Only a trainer that can see and watch him can tell you what all he needs to be a good dependable family member. I am only going on what you have told and what I would do if I had a new dog doing the same things as Charlie with young children around.
You already love him and care for him and want the best for him and that is a wonderful start...work with him,closely watch him around your children and get a trainer to help you and your family out. It can be a very rewarding experience for all of you.

Oh...not only are retractable leads bad for training but they are also dangerous. If you have the kind that looks like a cord and walking down the street with your small child and Charlie sees a dog and runs around your childs legs lunging at it those cords can burn and cut the skin very quickly and badly.

Last edited:
Should I try to cut his nails I'm not sure where to cut or what to use. I use regular nail human cuters on my cats but looking at his nails I'm thinking its not gonna work. What do u all u if u cut ur dogs nails what kind of clippers do u use.

If you do not know how and where to cut a nail "DO NOT" try till someone shows you...all it could take is cutting the quick (which really hurts a dog) in turn could provoke a fight or another bite from Charlie. Let someone who knows dogs help show you how to do these things.

Last edited:
Changed my pic its the virls Charlie and my cat. Jasmine is the one with glasses she is 9 and severely autistic. Chloe is on floor she is 7 and mildly autistic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back