hi I'm new here I just got my cocker sunday

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kristina...right now your dog eating cat poop is the least of your concerns. I have followed your thread for many days and things keep getting worst and worst. At this point I only have concerns about your two small daughters and what could happen to them.

I don't know where Charlie came from,I know no rescue would adopt out a known child biting dog to a family with two small autistic children. I would hope a friend would not give you this dog telling you he has bit before...a shelter should have caught this. A dog like Charlie should have never been put into your home!!!! I know he is sweet most of the time but so is most all aggressive dogs. Yes he is aggressive,he bit your child,he lunges at other dogs. He is a dog for advance owners not YOU and your family!!!

Your thread has unfolded in just a few days to this:

We adopted a new cocker on Sunday
We have never owned a dog.
He has bit children before.
He has had several homes.
He lunges on leash at other dogs.
We have two small autistic daughters.
By Wed we are in ER as my daughter was bitten by the dog.
Today I am going to try to cut his nails but have no idea how.

These are all RED FLAGS pointing to one out come....one of your children is going to get hurt bad!!!
I have been around lots and lots of dogs,young,old,rescues,different breeds.I truly love them and could never be without a dog but would NEVER!!!!!! put one above the safety of a child. All I see happening here is one of these small girls getting bitten worst or in the face next time. I saw the photo of the child's hand,it was not a nip or warning,it was a true hard aggressive bite. It was not an accident,he meant business and I "STRONGLY" feel it will happen again in this situation...it is not a question of "could it happen again" but a fact of "WHEN will happen again"!!

Charlie could be a wonderful dog for an experienced dog family without children...but I would "never" want a known child biting dog in a first time dog owner home with two small autistic girls. He bit her when she grabbed his ball (which is a normal reaction for a child wanting to play with a dog) what happens if the child is in his face next time he is triggered with what is an innocent action for a child?

Cockers are my favorite breed but I know how unpredictable some Cockers can be,I have owned several. Throw in first time dog owner and small children and it spells disaster. Return Charlie to wherever you got him!! He is a dog that only an experienced dog owner should own.

Sorry to be so harsh and blunt but I do not want to see one of your precious girls bitten in the face or an eye ripped out by a dog that was trigger by a normal child behavior. Your girls are far more safe with just your kitty.

I'm not being bashed by this I am simply done dealing with being put down when I'm doing the best I know how u feel u can do better then u come and take him I'm done with this thread this group I'm not 6 I have a brain and can figure out if things are to bad to continue with him. Thanks but no thanks on ur advice suggestions or whatever u want to call them.

Kristina, you've taken on a lot in the past couple of weeks! Reading the summary of what you've been up against, I think you're doing pretty well for having us all telling you what to do ^_*

We are a passionate bunch, about our dogs' and kids' safety, both. And yeah, there are some red flags, but how do YOU feel things are progressing?

I don't know where your girls are on the autism spectrum, but they seem pretty cognizant of cause and effect. Are they still feeling okay about having Charlie around? He may always be a little of a "special needs dog" given how much he's been through. Are you guys all okay with that?

Kristina, you've taken on a lot in the past couple of weeks! Reading the summary of what you've been up against, I think you're doing pretty well for having us all telling you what to do ^_*

We are a passionate bunch, about our dogs' and kids' safety, both. And yeah, there are some red flags, but how do YOU feel things are progressing?

I don't know where your girls are on the autism spectrum, but they seem pretty cognizant of cause and effect. Are they still feeling okay about having Charlie around? He may always be a little of a "special needs dog" given how much he's been through. Are you guys all okay with that?
I know my kids are fine with charlie that was the first thing I asked my daughter after the bit she said she still loved him and wanted to keep him. Like I said in my posts above if I felt it was on purpose then I wouldn't have kept him and trying to get things in order. I feel and my husband feels things are fine we are working out training times and places and in the mean time we are the ones playing with him. We are the ones making sure his actions are fine. I do watch how he is with the kids on the couch and if u look at the pic he's fine.
I've talked to nurses and friends and family about how the bit happened and they ALL agree give him a chance in training and see how things go. They ALL feel that it was a misunderstanding and that my daughter was at fault. I know cats take time to get use to people and environments I don't see a dog would be any different we have hardly had him a week. Minus the one issue things have been fine. If he is a special needs dog then so be it I'm fine with that and my kids understand there certin things they can or can't do with him.

Chloe the one who got bit is super advanced in most areas. She understands a lot more than people give her credit for.
Jasmine is the one that is shy and farther behind in all things.
Jasmine is the one with the seizures as well.
Chloe helps out very well like she's the older sister when she isn't.
I am very confident in my children they were raised with our cat and understand that animals have boundaries and when things are confusing chloe always ask way more questions then I could expect from a seven year old.

It's easy to get into a lather in a long thread, but I really think you guys can make this work. "Kitty Roca" will always be a problem though >_<

Glad to hear you are willing to work with Charlie and give him a chance. I think what you are doing is amazing by giving him a second chance. You already have quite a bit on your plate with your daughters, but as long as everyone is on the same page, things should work out. Just make sure that you listen to whatever the trainer has to say, and be open minded. I have a puppy mill rescue dog, and it took her a bit to get up to speed with everything, but she is amazing and so full of love. Good luck

I'm not being bashed by this I am simply done dealing with being put down when I'm doing the best I know how u feel u can do better then u come and take him I'm done with this thread this group I'm not 6 I have a brain and can figure out if things are to bad to continue with him. Thanks but no thanks on ur advice suggestions or whatever u want to call them.

Kristina, Kathy posted her real concerns, you claim you are a first time dog owner. Have you checked out the rest of our forum, we have many threads that are really informative from grooming to advice on handling. I think this thread is long enough, I'm going to close it now. You are more than welcome now to post in the main forum or any other of the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back