Throwing up

Cocker Dad

Owned by
2 cockers
Butters has been throwing up all night. The first time was about 5 p.m. in the van. :( That one looked like his breakfast. He would not eat his kibble for supper at all. I gave him a few animal crackers and wouldn't you know, the next time he threw up, there they were. He has trown up four more times in total and won't even drink water. He seems to be panting a lot, but otherwise seems fine. He even went for a walk after supper. We are calling his vet in the morning. Does anyone think this could be food related? I am never sure I am feeding him the right food. Anyone have suggestions for food. Butters is 12 years old, so it has to be senior dog food. I guess money is no object. I'll be signed in for a while if anyone wants to reply either here or privately.

I'm note sure, Randy, but many dogs pant if they don't feel good or are in pain. There are, of course, other reasons. I think a trip to the vet might be a very good idea. Hope Butters is feeling better very soon.

It may be food related. Are you feeding him people food too? Gabby has a sensitive stomach. If he eats too much or eats fatty foods he gets indigestion and sometimes throws up. Antbiotics will give him a sensitive stomach too and he might throw up. Sometimes I give Gabby a Pepcid to help calm his stomach--the vet even suggested once. I would stop feeding Butters for the day and give his stomach a rest. Let him drink water if he wants. It bothers me that Butters is panting so I'm glad you have an appointment.

We called our vet and took Butters to see him at 11:30, we just got home. He was still breathing hard and would not calm down. Butters temp was normal but his heartbeat was irregular. His lower belly was swollen. His vet, Dr. Rudy thinks it might be his pancreas. His gave me some pills (Acepromazine, Metaclopromide and Tramadol) for Butters to take and he said to bring him in Friday and he could some more tests. He is closed today but said to take him to another vet if we have too. We are gonna play it by ear. Will probably cancel doc appt. and just stay home and keep an eye on Butters or find a sitter. Hopefully Butters will get some rest and so will we. Will keep everyone posted.

(((Randy)))
Butters will sure be in my thoughts and prayers tonite. Please let us know how he is doing..

My Puppy, my very first cocker had those same symptoms when he went into renal failure. Please keep us posted.

I would keep your appointment. It sounds like they didn't do any blood work last night. Pancreatitis will show up in the bloodwork, then they can start treating it right away. Don't postpone treatment as pancreatitis can have serious consequences.

Acepromazine is a antipsychotic. I don't like giving it to Gabby. He didn't look well on it. Vets are giving this now instead of ativan (sedative) because they think you'll sell it or take it yourself (IMO). I like ativan better. It doesn't have the side-effects of antipsychotics.

Metaclopromide is Reglan. We use that a lot in the ER for nausea.

Tramadol is a painkiller.

Oh dear, how scary. Please keep Butters appt and get the bloodwork done. ((((BUTTERS)))) Will keep him in my thoughts. An older dog not eating or drinking is not something to ignore and I'm glad you took him in initially. Hopefully the meds will help in some way but you do need to find out what is happening. Keep us posted!

The throwing up is usually NOT food related unless he got a hold of something he shouldn't have.

I'm glad your vet saw him, but he needs blood labs done

Ace - I don't like at all, it's to keep them out of it

Tramadol -- it's a opiate -- keeps them drugged up - for pain

and Reglan (hey I just got some of that for) nausia

I sure hope someone can do labs on him and see how his liver/kidney enzymes are

We made it through the night. I guess Butters slept ok. I checked on him a few times during the night and at least he did not throw up overnight but he did this morning, it was clear liquid. He went out and peed put no poopy. OUr vet also said to either give him sugar water or maybe Gatorade or Pedialyte to drink , but no dog food. He said rice would be ok. He is out of the office today but said to bring him by tomorrow and he will do the blood work. If we feel the need to take him somewhere else today, he said to go ahead. I think we are just gonna lay low today and just let Butters rest.

If this is pancreatitis, it isw VERY painful for the dog . . . I'm really quite surprised your vet didn't do any bloodwork. My vet will do that right away if I come in with concerns. Having had a dog with pancreatitis (twice!), I know it's key to get them to the vet as soon as possible. They are typically treated with antibiotics, painkiller, IV fluids and sometimes an anti-vomiting med, like Reglan.

I'm surprised that your vet gave you Ace . . . that's a pretty hefty sedative.

Anyhow, please watch Butters closely. Make sure he gets NO food, but is taking in fluids. Some dogs won't drink Gatorade or Pedialyte, so you might want to try adding just a tiny bit of broth to his water, to entice him to drink.

Please keep us updated Randy. I'll be thinking of Butters today.

We have an appt. at 3:30 this afternoon with another vet to get Butters bloodwork done. I let his regular vet know and said I would see him tomorrow and let him know what they said.

Oh Randy!
If Butters doesn't improve, I would consider taking him to another vet just for the bloodwork. Your vet can always request a copy and that would be one day saved. Please keep us posted.

Randy, how is Butters doing today? Hopefully he's doing okay, but I wonder if he's still not well, since you've decided to take him to a different vet for bloodwork.

Poor guy.

He is doing ok. We just had someone to look at our bathroom to put in a bid on remodeling and Butters started barking at the top of lungs then he went and hid under the bed. He is still throwing up, not even keeping water down. He is resting now in his favorite spot under the bed.

That sounds like either pancreatitis or a potential blockage. Definitely do the bloodwork today, and go from there.

When Farley was sick (one blockage and two episodes of pancreatitis) he was still fairly normal in the early stages, but when he got more dehydrated from not keeping anything down, he was a pretty sick dog.

I hope Butters just has GI upset.

Randy
I would do as Kelly says. Get his bloodwork done and then it would be ready for your vet tomorrow.

Hopefully I won't need to do that later. It's alot to think about so soon after losing Buddy.

Back