Throwing up

Randy, try not to worry too much. The good side of both pancreatitis and obstruction (good side???) is that both are VERY treatable. Even though Butters is feeling pretty rotten right now, with the right treatment he should be feeling infinitely better within a relatively short amount of time. HUGS to you both!

Sorry to hear Butters is ill. Hopefully the vets will find out why. If you can't get the vomiting under control and he won't take water, ask the vet about giving him some subcutaneous fluids to prevent dehydration. I took Precious to an internist a few years ago when she wasn't eating (wasn't vomiting either though), she gave her some pepcid to help calm her tummy. That, along with a few days of hamburger and rice, and she was all better! Prince was on Ace for a few days after his ear ablation, so he wouldn't mess with his cone, Benadryl wasn't strong enough to keep him calm. Was only a few days and he didn't suffer any nasty side effects. Let us know how it goes.

Well, here goes. We went to the other vet and they took some blood from Butters. Her name was Dr. Babbit and she was very nice. She said everything looked fine, a few of his levels were high. His AMY level was 1756 which she said that was probably due to the vomiting. His ALP level was 475, she was a little concerned about that. I have to try to get a urine sample to drop off tomorrow so she can check for Cushings disease, but she does not think he has it. She said his pancreas was ok. Also his HGB count was high at 18.6 and his PLT was high at 545. She did not really say what those were. Butters regular vet called tonight to check on Butters. I told him what they said and that we would stop in tomorrow to see him and show him the bloodwork results. Dr. Babbit gave him a shot for the vomiting and said not to give him the pills. She did not agree with giving him the Ace pill either so I just told her to throw them away. She also said no food tonight but he can have some in the morning, maybe some cooked burger and rice, just to make sure he still is not throwing up. He has not since they gave him the shot. He was my brave little boy and only yelped a little when they gave him his shot.

Since he's vomiting alot, did they consider taking a few X-rays? I think I would ask for them regardless of what they say. It might rule out a blockage if its clear.
Hope the little man feels better tomorrow.

I asked about x-rays and Dr. Rudy said to do the bloodwork first. I will ask about them again tomorrow.

((((Butters and Randy)))) Keep your chins up. Good luck tomorrow and keep us in the loop.

I believe HGB is hemoglobin. Could it be a little high because he is a slightly dehydrated from the vomiting??? PLT is platelet count, but I don't know much more (like none.) Maybe this is all just a tummy bug. Hope so.

Both vets asked me if he got into something he shouldn't have (why would they think that...LOL). Wednesday morning is trash day and I hate walking them that morning, they are much more likely to find forbidden goodies. Butters did not get any that I noticed.

I'm so glad you had Butters checked. I hope he feels better today.

Normal dog values:
Amylase normal 270-1,462
Alp normal 10.6-101

So weird...John picked me up from the Sky train after work, and told me that Coco has been throwing up. About 5 times he has gotten sick. Just bile though when he sees him getting sick. He had him with him all day today driving around getting his check and dropping everyone off. He said he was fine through all that. After they got home, he started getting sick. I think he might have found something in the van, the kids ya know, they don't like something they leave it behind.

He seems to be fine now. He has been eating and drinking water. He hates it when I'm not here.

I guess that shot wore off. I just woke up and went to check on Butters and he threw up a little in both bedrooms and peed in the dining room. Guess I know what I'll be doing today..sigh. (LOL) He is resting now. Hopefully he will eat some food today.

I sure hope the drs. can figure out why Butters is so sick. ((((Butters & Randy)))) Please keep us updated.

When will your vet see him again? I dont mean to sound like an alarmist, but I would still have them do X-rays asap and not wait for the bloodwork results. Sounds to me like its more than a simple doggie flu. JMHO
I hope they can get to the bottom of this soon. Best of luck!

There was bloodwork run yesterday, so his vet should be able to read that. But I agree - a visit to your vet is necessary, and they need to do some more tests to get to the bottom of this. Poor Butters!

We went to see our regular vet this afternoon and I showed him the results of the bloodwork. He agreed with the other vet about his levels being high because of dehydration and vomiting. I forgot to mention xrays, though. I never had a chance to get a urine sample today, but I will. I'll just have to make R.J. stay inside. This morning, R.J. would not eat his food. Daddy Bruce held him while Butters was eating, and he threw up! Is there such a thing as sympathy vomiting?? So tonight I made extra for R.J. It is cooling off now. Butters is doing better. He went to go poopies this afternoon.....BLECHHHH!!! It was total liquid and shot out in a steady stream. We will have a follow up visit next week which hopefully won't require a dip in our vacation fund...knock on wood.

Randy
We will sure be thinking of you and Butters. Please keep us informed we are all worried.

I hope R.J. isn't getting sick too. As far as the urine specimen, the vet can straight cath Butters. It will save time plus the sample will be sterile.

And here comes round two. R.J. would not eat his supper, he just sniffed at it and looked at me. I put it up on the counter and took him for a walk. Well, he stopped to eat some grass and, sure enough, he started to throw up. I was ok with that unil I noticed it looked just like what Butters was throwing up before we to the vet at 11:30 at night. A few houses later, R.J. stops to go poopy, I thought great, at least he is doing that. WRONG. It came out and my first though was waterfall....WHOOSH. It was worst than Butters. R.J. just threw up again, was mucus mixed with leaves from earlier. I could just cry.... So, know what?? Should I get his blood work done to see if it matches Butters. I don't how they could have caught something. Now I don't know if we should venture out this weekend or not. R.J. also threw up in the van. I think the throw up I found this morning was not Butters. He has eaten fine all day.

It sounds like both Butters and R.J. have the same thing--maybe a virus. I would definitely let your vet know. I would also stop feeding them whatever you have been giving them and switch to something else. Also look around the house and yard to see if there is something they have been getting into. Lastly, watch them like hawks. I would worry if Butters can't keep anything down and has diarrhea, he may become severely dehydrated. I wouldn't recommend taking them on a long car ride anywhere this weekend. It might be too much for them right now.

Also look around the house and yard to see if there is something they have been getting into. Lastly, watch them like hawks. I would worry if Butters can't keep anything down and has diarrhea, he may become severely dehydrated. I wouldn't recommend taking them on a long car ride anywhere this weekend. It might be too much for them right now.

They are both resting now. They have not been drinking very much, so no sample to collect. All I gave them tonight was some burger and rice. Butters ate his, but R.J. did not. I know they did not get into anything, inside or outside. I'm not sure about going anywhere this weekend. My sister only lives a 20 minute drive away, but if the boys aren't feeling well, I don't know if we will go. Also, my nephews dog will be there and he doesn't need to be getting sick.

Back